I have some slight doubts that the images produced via Mapscript are
really interlaced. At least with standard tools like irfanview or Gimp
they do not have the tag 'interlaced'. But they have it if I create it
with Gimp and the interlaced option or if I create the image with
shp2img. Maybe a bug of Mapscript.

The image is created using saveImage($tmpFileNameAbs, $map); this way
normally all format options of the map file should be taken into
account, but this might not be the case.

A good test is also always if the image can be used for PDF printing: if
it works then the PNG cannot be interlaced since FPDF does not support
it and you get an error message telling you this.

armin