On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Armin Burger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for the hint. I haven't discovered the settings for encoding and was
> thinking the Excel 5 format does not support it. I will modify the code in
> the next days.
>
>  armin

You might not have been wrong...
You have to set  $this->workbook->setVersion(8);
(whatever version this is :-); immediately after creating the workbook
and then
$worksheet->setInputEncoding('utf-8'); after each created worksheet
Of course, it works for other encodings too.

And, as I found after posting to pmapper-users, there is a years old
bug in Excel_Writer, which crashes such utf8 Excel file if it has more
than 150-200 rows inserted....:(
Which you can remedy by overwriting the Workbook.php in Excel_Writer
(also in 0.91) with the one provided here:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=136412

And then it works without flaws, at least for me...

HTH

BR

frequens