you can use the zoom2extent() function, arguments to pass are mainly the
extent with 4 coordinates separated by a plus (+) sign, like

zoom2extent('', '', 'minx+miny+maxx+maxy', '0')

 From a single point coordinate you need to set a buffer that defines
the min/max values (4 coordinates) you want to zoom to. From UTM or
lat/lon you can convert to your map projection with Mapscript functions.
See the function in the coordinates plugin for sample code.

armin