One possibility could be that the encoding settings for the Web server
are not understood by the client browser. Try to set you browser
encoding manually to UTF-8. The layer encoding needs of course be set
correctly, for shapefiles usually ISO-8859-1 should be correct. Encoding
for the server should be set to UTF-8 following this (last paragraph):

http://svn.pmapper.net/trac/wiki/FaqDebugging#Problemswithcharacterencodings

See if it helps, otherwise you could send me your shapefile and the
mapfile and I can try it here.

Regards, Armin