George

I'm not sure if I fully get it from your description what the problems
are. Is it that the search returns nothing at all? Are there any errors?
Or is it just that all non-Ascii characters are returned with wrong
encoding and hence displayed with '?' or strange characters?

If it's just the latter case then it should work defining for the layer
in the map file

"LAYER_ENCODING"  "USC-2"

This should convert all result strings to UTF-8 before returned to the
browser and displayed via Javascript.

See also
http://svn.pmapper.net/trac/wiki/DocManual#MultilingualUserInterface

armin