I managed to get the legend (partially) shown in a following manner:

1. I have started with a minimal number of layers/groups/categories
2. The legend is never shown initially, but after turning on/off any of
the layers in toc, it becomes visible in legend part (west side)
3. After gradually adding new groups/categories I noticed that legend is
not shown after adding one particular group/category/layer (so even on
turning on/off any layer in toc, the legend is not shown). This is an
ordinary layer that is correctly shown when legend is attached or swapped
with toc in tabs.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out why al this is happening. If someone can
help me finding the right place for debugging, I would appreciate it very
much

thanks

regards, dejan