The value "void" has no effect at all. You could as well write
   TEMPLATE "pippo"
and it will do the same, that is the tag TEMPLATE has to exist in order
to make a layer queryable. And it needs a value, otherwise the map file
parser should give an error.

I would guess that - also for WMS layers - dropping the TEMPLATE tag
should skip querying them, but I'm not completely sure without checking
the code...

Since the thread opener did not provide any information about error logs
(if the query does not work, there is very likely a PHP error logged),
nor does she mention the version of p.mapper. So there's no way to
provide any useful help.

armin