Hi,

1) in print.xml, add your variable in the "<printdlg>" part with an HTML
input tag
2) printdlg.phtml will create a "PrintXML_HTML" object (class defined in
incphp/print/printxml.php) that will parse the XML file and add the
desired field in the HTML print dialog
3) when you will send the print request, the page called is
printmap.phtml. It will create a "PDF" class (defined in
incphp/print/printpdf.php).

You have many solutions.
1) retrieve the value in printmap.phtml ($yourValue =
$_REQUEST['.....'];) and change the "PDF" constructor with this new
parameter (and write the code to use the value in "PDF" class!)
2) retrieve the value in printmap.phtml, add it to the "$pdfSettings"
variable and write the code to use the value in "PDF" class
3) retrieve the value in "getPrintParams" function of
incphp/print/printxml.php like it is done for printtitle and write the
code to use the value in "PDF" class

Good luck!

Thomas