Maybe the MS4W supports MrSID images... You could also download
pre-compiled MrSid libraries for Linux and compile Mapserver/GDAL with
it. I don't know exactly if it prohibits the use on "server software" as
ECW license does, but I have not found this in their license file.

If the ECW libraries are included or not in MS4W, it's probably not
permitted to use this in a productive server environment. I guess it
somehow has been accepted once by ERMapper, though the 2005 license
terms clearly state that server usage is not included..., and the 2007
terms do not allow anything without acceptance by ERMapper, now Erdas.

Maybe you could just use Geotiff, depending on available disk space, 1
sqkm in 1 m resolution should take 3 MB, 0.5 m resolution images
accordingly 12 MB/sqkm.

If you can compile Mapserver yourself on Linux you could also use the
OpenJpeg v2 library, perhaps a bit slower than ECW, but free. The file
size you can get to similar ranges as for ECW. You need the latest GDAL
(1.8) for this.

Armin