Hi,

I've forgotten an other (and easier) way to do what you want... It works
with DB and shapefiles:
http://svn.pmapper.net/trac/wiki/DocManual#LayerGroupDescriptionsandFieldsforQueries

Just be careful: for shapefiles, the "RESULT_FIELDS" have to be upper
case, whereas for postgreSQL and maybe other DB it have to be lower case.

Thomas