well, a common practice in programming is that comments are valid for
lines following below. Just check which line is below the comment you
mentioned and you might get an idea.

In practice it is more or less obsolete since this should only be
required if the ini entry "register_globals" is enabled. But in this
case the unmodified p.mapper will exit and display an error message. In
addition, for code insertion via URL's it is required to have other ini
settings active that are not recommended. Just google for "p.mapper
security" and you will end up at at a section of the quick install
instructions which I assume everybody setting up a site with p.mapper
will read.

armin