try the following in the file layerselect.js from the plugin direcorry:

after
createTree: function() {
    this.root = PM.ini.pluginsConfig.layerselect.categories.category;

add

  if (! $.isArray(this.root)) {
    this.root = [PM.ini.pluginsConfig.layerselect.categories.category];
  }

On the other hand I do not know what's the use of categories if there's
only 1...

armin