On 17/03/2012 12:38, G. Allegri wrote:
> Having an admin API would allow the configuration to be made through a web
> based UI, or even a desktop app. This would simplify/streamline the process
> of setting up and deploying maps and services for the end-user.

Hi Giovanni

I find the management of the map file and all layers, with classes,
symbols, etc the most time consuming part. Setting up a GUI for that
would require quite a bit of work. Maybe you could give a look at the
QGIs plugin and just modify it to add some specific settings for
p.mapper (mainly the query fields and result headers under METADATA).
Another web-based map file creator was never really finished.

I once set up an extension for ArcView 3 for this but I guess not many
people are still using it.

The configuration style for p.mapper 5 will be more or less similar to
the previous version. Originally I wanted to move more config settings
from the XML to the js_config file since I'm now more used to writing
JSON like notations. But I mainly left it in the way it was. So the most
important settings to be changed typically for every application remain
in the XML. The category/group definition can be a bit more difficult
now in order to allow more complex set up, there were some compromises
necessary to put everything in XML. An example is e.g

<category name="cat_admin" imgFormat="png32" olTheme="admin" buffer="0">
     <group>countries</group>
     <group>cities10000eu</group>
     <group olTheme="urbanthm" imgFormat="png8" name="urban"></group>
</category>
<category name="cat_infra" olTheme="infra"  imgFormat="png8"
   description="Infrastructure" type="PMTile">
     <group>roads</group>
     <group>railroad</group>
</category>

Settings that are very OL-oriented are in Javascript since it allows to
directly use OL-generic properties and options. But since this is
de-facto JSON, it should be possible to write this also somehow via a GUI.

armin