I agree :-)

I suppose you have modified the map file or deleted everything from
images/legend to force it to recreate the icons. Because the icons come
preinstalled I think (this is so with my debian package).

Next thing - maybe this can be related to MS version also. I am using
5.0.0-3ubuntu0.3 version from the package

dejan