Great, thx for the fast answer and for the example link!

On my project, when I select the tool, the help is displayed and the drop
down menu with the layers also. But the window with the check boxes (query
on all layers / buffer)  is missing.

Now that I see how it is supposed to work, I will try to find what's wrong
here.
>From what I see there is no error in Firebug.

I will let you know If I get it to work!