One small part regarding layers that was planned but never implemented
is a kind of OL native type. Meaning layer creation of whatever type
using only OL standard functions defined by users via customized code
that are then added to the map in the order how they are defined in the
config files. Since there is an abundance of OL layer types with very
different definitions it's not possible to define them via a
configuration file.

I will have a bit a look how it can be easily achieved. The idea is to
use a custom JS file that creates all required OL layer objects and add
them to a list, from where they are taken and added to the map in the
order and groups they are set in the config files.

armin