On 08.10.2014 22:22, Randy Brown wrote:
This may also have something to do with my host: I see from Top that
on my shared server at the moment virtual memory is 12300528k total,
12000484k used, yet my own processes in the list show zero CPU or
memory.

On a shared server this is not unusual. It is unusual that one pmwiki.php process requires 100% of the CPU resources for a long time.

Regardless of my woes, I didn't know about some of the limitations you
mentioned. That's important information. Perhaps those limitations are
all documented, but of the list you mentioned, I only recall seeing
the one about avoiding PTVs that are based on other PTVs. I didn't
know there were issues with PTVs using markup expressions and
conditionals. Is there a good page to document such limitations?

Embedded PTVs in other PTVs should not get captured into infinite loops since version 2.2.3 (2009-07-16).

The mecanism of PTVs is probably not very intuitive. When you place {OtherPage$:Variable} in a page, it is exactly like if you had "copied" the wikitext value of the variable and "pasted" it into the current page. So, markup expressions and conditionals will be processed and evaluated at a later point from the "pasted" content and what surrounds it. For example, you cannot paste a PTV containing a markup expression inside a markup expression, as this will produce incorrect wikitext. If the PTV contains a nested conditional and you paste it inside a conditional, the parent conditional should have a different index number like (:if2:), or the conditionals will break not like you expect.

Anyways, these can produce errors in the processing, but shouldn't require 100% CPU and RAM usage. An incorrect nested pagelist template might. You can disable pagelists by adding this to config.php:

   $EnablePageList = 0;

then test the wiki for errors.

Another thing to check: the Notify feature, depending on the server configuration, might bring up the CPU usage. Once again, this shouldn't cause crashes, but who knows.

Petko