On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

Values greater than 1 for $EnableWSPre can be used to indicate a minimum number of initial spaces required to indicate a preformatted text block.

Does this handle lines starting with a TAB? When I've used preformatted text blocks, it's mostly single lines and I've indendented them using a TAB. So for me it'd be fine if a tab always resulted in preformatted text. It'd also be fine if a single TAB only resulted in preformatted text when $EnableWSpre is positive but less than or equal to eight.

I'm also looking at the possibility of introducing (:wspre:), (:nowspre:), and (:wspre #:) markups so that the leading whitespace rule can be selectively enabled and changed within page markups.

I think those could be more verbose, or merely have a more verbose alternative... not that I have an immediate suggestion unfortunately.

How about '(:$EnableWSpre=0:)' etc? It's still not easy to understand, but at least closer to what you have in the configuration file.

Finally, this release introduces a new 'pre' wikistyle, which is a shortcut for setting the CSS 'white-space: pre' property. However, we still need to experiment with this setting a bit, in order to get newlines handled properly around blocks marked with %pre% or >>pre<<.

Or possibly a directive for preformatted text in general, i.e. (:pre:), that you can give different arguments to? Maybe that would be useful if you could then select different ways that the preformatted text should be treated in, e.g.

        (:pre:)                 PmWiki markup active
        (:pre email:)           Interpreted as if from an email
        (:pre monospace=yes:)   Same as (:pre:), but with a monospace font
        (:pre ...:)             Extensions for recipes
        (:pre escaped:)         No markup interpreted at all

I'm not overly enthusiastic about these ideas, but maybe they'll give some inspiration.

Perhaps the above would be better solved by some general mechanism for disabling/enabling different sets of markup rules?

/Christian