On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

One reason why PmWiki hasn't provided something like this by default is that some administrators would prefer that PmWiki version information not be easily available to others (especially malicious programs).

Do you think such an administrator will manage to remove the {$Version} from the page PmWiki.PmWiki? (I probably wouldn't think of it, although I might think about searching the wiki for "{$Version}". Oh, and I'd have to disallow the public from editing, or they can just insert {$Version} themselves).

Maybe what a paranoid administrator really needs is a setting
        $EnablePmWikiVersionInfo
that can be disabled to stop showing the version in any way?

So, if we did have an ?action=version or similar, I think it would
need to default to 'edit' permissions at a minimum.

I'm also not sure that having ?action=version solves the problem... is an administrator likely to stumble upon ?action=version without having to consult the docs or ask the mailing list?

The reason I suggested ?action=version was twofold... to be honest, I don't think a regular administrator would remember that. However, being able to learn the PmWiki version might be something that pmwiki-mode requires in the future. So what pmwiki-mode needs is really any method that allows to determine the version info ... hmm, actually it's probably more like the version of PmWiki's API.

/Christian