On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Hans wrote:

(which is why PHP calls its variable $_SERVER).

Is there a need for a {(server ...)} markup expression? Would it not be more fitting to use page variables for things like the user's browser name or the ip address? And then I would use terms like {$Browser} and {$IPAddress}. Just a short while ago Pm gave a definition for use of "browser" in conditional markup. Who would want to use {(server HTTP_USER_AGENT)} as wiki markup?

Apologies for not having followed this thread and butting in.

A side note: I'm probably missing something here... but why not use {$HTTP_USER_AGENT}... If it's a security concern, couldn't a $Enable...=0 clear the sensitive variables? You've probably talked about this, just ignore in that case.

By suggesting that we use the actual names, I _am_ advocating for and thinking of the non-programmers, because when a non-programmer does a Google search for things like "how do I find out the user's browser?" or "how do I find out the address a user is coming from?", that non-programmer is going to find references to HTTP_USER_AGENT and HTTP_REMOTE_ADDR and not 'browser' or 'ip'.

So a user who does not read much documentation, or does not memorise it very well, tries to use {(server browser)} and this does not work. so he will have to look up the meaning of {(server..)}, and finds mention of HTTP_USER_AGENT. Then he is supposed to "google" on that term to get more information?

Adding links to good W3 pages or similar that explain HTTP_USER_AGENT is easier and faster for us. Writing good documentation takes a lot of time.

What the user probably wants most of all are examples of how to actually use it...

To help a non-programming user it would be good to have a page variable {$Browser}, which return a simple browser name, and perhaps also {$BrowserVersion} to return a simple version info, good enough to do any conditional switching.

I have never programmed to get different HTML for different browsers, but I'm not sure it's that easy to categorize the browsers in a useful way. Nor am I sure there are 'simple' browser names... at least when I've made Opera identify as different browsers there seems to be a lot to choose from.

So if we created our own categories of browsers (in terms of the simple names), I suspect it'd be quite a bit of work to create, maintain and document.

Best regards
/Christian