Seems as if iOS has trouble with variable width in general (like in the
default pmwiki skin). Maybe the mobile Safari browsers were optimized
for handling those "old" fixed-width layouts and making them usable on
small screens - and therefore often cannot deal with "newer" design
approaches properly. This is just another guess, I haven't really looked
into it. Please correct me if I'm totally wrong.

--StefCT