I've worked with both, have clients who come to me with pre-existing WordPress
sites, and I set up my own original work blog in a separate WordPress site
(much to my current regret).

I just set up a blog in PmWiki which mimics a WordPress set-up.
http://passionizing.com and I'm updating my XESBlog bundle to include the
sidebar calendar and more tweaks.

PmWiki is
1) easier to custom-"theme" -- I'm upgrading my sites and several client sites
to responsive designs.  Like the wiki-blog linked above, 1 design that works on
any device.  (Resize the browser window, it's a great trick to show the kids.)
Creating a custom theme in Wordpress is SO much more of a headache.
Customizing an existing theme in Wordpress (to change colors or banner images)
usually has menu options, so it's not so bad & no HTML required.  This new blog
site is based on the mobile skin I already made on PmWiki.org, but I don't
bother detecting mobile.  It looks great on an iPhone or iPad.
2) easier to repeat page information from page-to-page (via templates,
groupheader, groupfooter, etc.)
3) easier to make custom searches and customize the design & data included in
the search output
4) faster if you want to throw a website up quickly and get going -- rather
than a blog.
5) blog-optional, to make a wordpress site into a website rather than a blog is
actually about the same level
6) PmWiki gives you the ability to do in-page programming and to have fine
control over nearly everything that you do.
7) able to have collaborative editing out-of-the-box with or without
passwording to create an "onlineopedia" (i.e. think of all the "XXXGame Wiki"
like the "Plants vs. Zombies Wiki" where people share tips & tricks &
screenshots -- PmWiki can do that, wordpress cannot)
8) Far less security problems than WordPress (may be through obscurity, may be
due to superior security & an agile development team that fixes problems
quickly)
9) Multiple layers of permissions and content control available
& much more...

Upsides to WordPress
1) WUSIWUG
2) Control-panel driven
3) It's a blog out of the box
4) Huge theme-making community - responsive designs are probably available
there too....
5) Loads of panel-installable plug-ins
6) Panel-installable upgrades (of both plug-ins and the entire package)
7) Often available to set up quickly for free
8) Friendly for non-techies

A few recipes on top of PmWiki make it MUCH more user friendly, like drag &
drop attachments, NewPageBoxPlus, etc.

I have a ton of YouTube video shorts on editing PmWiki on my YouTube
channel....  eclectictllc.  Documented here:
http://eclectictech.net/Support/Support

In short, WordPress is an appliance website with some extra bells & whistles,
PmWiki is a highly customizable power-house.  I've made business directories,
encyclopedias, databases, etc. in PmWiki and would never dream of attempting to
use WordPress for it.  PmWiki is a true CMS if you know how to use it.
WordPress is a blog-as-cmsish. :)

Crisses
--
...truthfully, getting well seemed a lot more far-fetched than getting a Ph.D.
at that moment.