[Resending to the list as it bounced back.]

$DefaultPasswords['read'] = array('@read', crypt('pw3'), crypt('pw4'));

You need to add read permissions to the @edit group too:

$DefaultPasswords['read'] = array('@read', '@edit', crypt('pw3'), crypt('pw4'));

It may not be intuitive but PmWiki allows that a user be able to edit without being able to read the edited page, for example in form processing addons.

If this does not fix the problem, i.e. even users with @read permissions cannot login, we can discuss this further.

And a note: the documentation source uses the markup "->" for indentation, but you need to write the actual directives without any markup, for example, not:

  --> user1: $2y$...      (wrong)
  --> @read: user1, user2 (wrong)

You need to write those either at start of line or after only spaces:

  user1: $2y$...
  @read: user1, user2

Petko