On 29/01/2020 16:10, Dominique Faure wrote:
It is also possible to keep both ToggleNext and a cross-browser working <details> but this may sound like a feature creep. Also, I feel that the (:details:) markup in a wiki page, while more characters to type than %p
toggle%, leaves the page source text more readable.

You're perfectly right, but preferring to rely on standardized browser
features and behaviors I thought that we could get the best of the two
world having the one written in term of the other.

It appears I was thinking the other way around, "writing the other in term of the one". :-)

I meant make sure the (:details:) markup which was added in 2.2.120 looks and works reasonably well with a partial polyfill when necessary.

ToggleNext is a tiny (26 lines of code) JavaScript function for progressive enhancement on the whole page DOM, it is the right tool for this. That's why it is so simple and so customizable -- accepts configurable DOM elements and wikistyles/CSS classes including when an element has multiple classes and inline styles, can come from any core or custom markup, its content can come from pagelists, pagevariables, included sections, whatever.

Of course ToggleNext could easily create a <details> block and properly move the summary and the proper details in the block, but it would be using JavaScript to create an element whose sole purpose to exist is to not depend on JavaScript.

If you mean writing a PmWiki markup rule function in PHP that can do the same (produce <details>+<summary> from any wikistyles source text), I'm not sure it is realistic at this point. It looks far too complex and difficult to write properly and to maintain. It could be done but PHP is not the right tool for this.

Petko