Sean M Burke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think that it's not a bad idea to render
> L<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/> as <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>
> especially for plaintext formats.  URLs are a bit of a special case
> anyhow.  And rendering them with surrounding anglebrackets is more
> comparable to rendering I<foo> as *foo* (which is another acceptable
> compromise for formats with limited capabilites), than comparable to
> prohibited horrors like L<foo/bar> being rendered as "see 'bar' in the
> 'foo' man page".

Ah, okay, I hadn't thought of it that way.  I'll go ahead and render
things that way, then.

> (Note that I'm neither recommeding nor requiring that everyone go make all
> L<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>'s render as <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>
> for all formats.  Personally, if I wanted <>'s around all my links, I'd put
> them there:  <L<url:...>>.

Note that rendering things the way I'm proposing will make that sort of
choice look very odd, with doubled angle brackets.

> Interpreting that strictly, that means a link to a document called
> '"Parsing', subsection 'Formatting"'.  If a link to a section called
> 'Parsing/Formatting' were intended, it should be expressed as
> L<"ParsingE<sol>Formatting">. or with an equivalent E<sol>, like E<47>,
> etc.

Unfortunately, podlators can't tell the difference yet, although I'm
working on that.

> My personal motto for L processing especially is "This crazy (i.e., only
> as crazy as perlpodspec necessitates), but NO CRAZIER".

> However, if one wanted to add further DWIMmity beyond what perlpodspec
> requires, that can always be encouraged as a matter of extra
> error-tolerance.

Well, this particular case came up because it's explicitly encouraged by
perlpodspec.  It says to allow the old L<"section"> form for backwards
compatibility if possible.  The problem is that it suggests as a way of
telling this from L<name> is by looking for whitespace, which actually
isn't that good of a way to check.  Looking enclosing quotes is more
reliable based on the behavior of older POD translators, so I implemented
that as well.  I can take it back out again, though.

Am I correct in understanding that L<"perlfunc"/"chown"> isn't valid
syntax for the page perlfunc, and instead should be L<perlfunc/"chown">?
In other words, are quotes allowed and stripped from the name as well, or
just the section?

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>