At 01:14 AM 2003-10-20, Graham Barr wrote:
On 20 Oct 2003, at 1:58, Sean M. Burke wrote:
I'm having no luck trying to track down what flakiness in perl 5.6's Unicode support is causing all the complaints and ickyness in Pod::Simple. It works just fine under perl 5.8, but under 5.6 there's endless screaming about malformed UTF8 characters.

I think the biggest issue is that you added "use utf8" in all the files. That has a different meaning in 5.6 and 5.8. I just commented them all out and things work much better

Under what perl version? 5.6?

So would it bother anyone if I simply turned off Unicode support in Pod::Simple when running under 5.6? I.e., any Unicode characters would just come out as a "*" or something.

What are you calling a unicode character ? Many pods are not written in unicode and have characters > 127, which is what is causing all these warnings. Turning all those characters into * is not the right thing IMO.

I mean anything over 255.

--
Sean M. Burke    http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/