AFAIK Z<> never has any content, and is used only to
put something into a place where some content is expected
but without actually putting any readable content there...
something like:

Z<>   I want to start a line with whitespace but it should
not be interpreted as a verbatim block

X<keyword> is, as correctly stated before, a meta-content
used for indexing - but does not show in the rendered text.
So the following line:

=head2 X<foobar>The foo and bar something-or-other

... has to be interpreted like this:

1. The heading is rendered as:
   "The foo and bar something-or-other"

2. This POD document is referenced from any index under
   the "foobar" keyword, and in case the index is
   hyperlinked, the link would point to this heading

3. The heading can be referenced by the link
   L<"The foo and bar something-or-other">

4. (I am not sure whether this is generally true:)
   Some formatters also allow links against these
   index entries, i.e. the index keyword serves
   as a named anchor:
   L<see also the foobar heading|/foobar>

Cheers,

Marek

PS. perldoc -f looks for the corresponding =item in perlfunc.pod