On 02/20/2012 06:58 PM, Florent Angly wrote:
Hi Sean,

You are right that Pod::Simple has problems with multiline POD strings
contained into a variable or heredoc section:

Oh now I remember... yes, I read the Perl source to see exactly how perl parses things about when to duck in and out of pod mode, so that I could try to make Pod::Simple's parser behave the same...

But I ran into a few instances that, as is famously known, the only thing that can parse Perl is perl. I got as far as this problem:

This breaks:

print "I",

=head1 Hooboy!

=cut

 " like pie!\n"
;

But this is fine:

print "I",
do{

=head1 Hooboy!

=cut

},
 " like pie!\n"
;

...but both look good to Pod::Simple.

So I just settled on Pod::Simple's current simplistic approach to knowing when to go into and out of pod mode... and its problems appear mostly just with code that's about Pod, instead of Pod that is about code!