On 05/21/2013 08:16 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
* John SJ Anderson <geneh...@genehack.org> [2013-05-21T19:33:14]
* Is this a worthwhile idea? (The recent "How do I get Pod::Simple to
extract pod" thread suggests the answer is yes.)

It's hard to judge this without the context in which you're considering it.
The GH issue to which you linked is largely context-free.

That said, wanting the ability to say "gimme just the Pod from this Pod
document" seems pretty reasonable.  Your code looks nice and simple.  I'd
rename it from POD to Pod so it's easier to remember.

We cannot remove Pod::Parser from the core until podcheck.t stops using it. The version of podcheck.t that works with Marc Green's Pod::Checker uses Pod::Parser for only one remaining purpose: to extract the pod from a file.

In order to remove this dependency, one of these things will have to happen:

1) We put John's new code in core, and podcheck.t uses it.
2) I steal John's code and put it in podcheck.t
3) I reimplement what John's code does, for podcheck.t

I have been trying to avoid #3.