2008/8/1 Dominik Seichter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> This file has two xref tables and 15 objects. When reading the file beginning
> at the end, PoDoFo reads the first trailer (at the end), which has a /Size
> key which states that the file has 10 objects. That is why PoDoFo ignores any
> objects beyond 10. After reading this trailer, PoDoFo follows the offset
> specified by startxref and reads the xref table at the top of the file, which
> contains objects from 6 to 15. PoDoFo will read only up to object 10 0 obj
> and ignore the rest and will never get to the correct trailer behind the XRef
> table which contains the size key with the value 15 and other important
> information like the /Root key.
>
> I was always under the assumption, that the trailer at the bottom of the PDF
> file has always have to have a correct /Size key. Creating a correct size key
> is easily possible when updating or creating a PDF file, so it should not be
> a problem for application developers to do this.

I think the wording is clear (table 3.13):
"(Required; must not be an indirect reference) The total number of
entries in the file's cross-reference table, as defined by the
combination of the original section and all update sections.
Equivalently, this value is 1 greater than the highest object number
used in the file.  Note: Any object in a cross-reference section whose
number is greater than this value is ignored and considered missing."

So /Size 10 in the last xref table means the PDF has 10 objects and
the last one is 10.

> Is my assumption correct? Why does Acrobat not give an error than?

"Be liberal in what you accept"?

Best
   Martin