On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 4:09 AM, Dominik Seichter <
domseich...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag 13 Mai 2010 schrieb shoks:
> > I overlooked the restrictions on the PDF form. After removing the
> > restrictions, I was able to fill up the form. I think the library should
> > throw an exception or something visible when there are restrictions in
> the
> > PDF form.
>
> Could you provide a patch for this?

I accidentally did a "reply" and sent this to Dominik when I meant to post
it to the mailing list for all to see and discuss.

Just a thought...

Would implementing such logic artificially restrict what one could do to a
PDF?  It seems to me that podofo is about low-level manipulation of a PDF -
anything that produces a syntactically valid PDF (as seen by an arbitrary
third party PDF parsing engine) should be fair game.  Implementing the
proposed logic would prevent that.  Granted, I don't have a use case where I
would NOT want this patch.

May I suggest something slightly different:

1) Implement the above logic, but make it possible to enable and disable at
run-time.

2) Instead of throwing an exception (and presumably preventing the changes
for taking effect), create two methods:

2a) One to determine if the form has "editing restrictions".

2b) One to create or remove "editing restrictions".  (ps- Does this violate
any part of the PDF specification license agreement??)

Just my humble opinion.

ps- Podofo rocks!