I can't directly help on the issue since I still don't have any gcc12
enabled system plus in pdfmm I abandoned cppunit in favor of catch[1] so I
don't have to solve this issue for podofo-next. Anyway, looking at the
error and where it happens in cppunit source[2] it seems now a string
conversion to be provided overloading the operator<< to OStream for types
used in CPPUNIT_ASSERT_EQUAL may be necessary. In this case the fix would
be quite easy, and it can be fixed by adding the overload in PoDoFo unit
tests extensions[4]. Are you sure the issue is actually caused by gcc12
upgrade and it's not actually caused by cppunit upgrade?

Regards,
Francesco

[1] https://github.com/catchorg/Catch2
[2]