I'm writing the 2nd edition of Advanced Perl for ORA; one of the
many changes is a chapter on POE. The outline is essentially complete, and
will discuss the POE architecture, the "parts" at length, and build at
least one application.

I'd like the folks whose brainchild this is (Rocco et all) to have fair
input, but that will come later. For now I'm looking for input on the
application itself. What types of programs do you feel not only show off
the event-driven "paradigm", but also provide good introductions to
using POE? I've written a few toys, but want something for this chapter
that will be both useful, and have a decent "wow" factor.

The ideas I've gotten from several POE users so far include:

  * A locking server
  * A port forwarder
  * A provisioning server; message queues, timed events, etc.
  * A recursive HTML-sucker; 'wget -r' == 'POE + Parse::RecDescent'

I'd also like some suggestions on what would make for a good client,
curses- or Tk-based. I've heard about some work being done on an MP3
player, for example. I'm not yet sure if there will be room for more than
one app, however. Probably not,

All input is welcome; I'll process what I can. :-)

Thanks!

Dan