I think I have it figured out, now, but for clarification.

If I have a session that does something with a SocketFactory, and I want to
implement and internal timeout, I should do a delay_set( 'event', 120 ), then
for each successive success event, an alarm_adjust( id, 0 ) followed
immediately by an alarm_adjust( id, 120 )?

It seems to work.  The most recent docs for alarm_adjust don't mention that a
delta of 0 sets the delay to "now", but maybe that's simply obvious?  It
wasn't to me.  I was betting that a delta of 0 would do nothing to the timer
itself and merely return when it was going to trigger.

Thanks.