Due to circumstances outside of my control, much of my development time
currently is being spent working within a perl 5.005.03 environment.  In
this environment, I have found some problems with POE::Kernel and the
passing of arguments to the import method of Time::HiRes.  The code in
question ...

BEGIN {
  local $SIG{'__DIE__'} = 'DEFAULT';

  # POE runs better with Time::HiRes, but it also runs without it.
  eval {
    require Time::HiRes;
    Time::HiRes->import qw(time sleep);
  };

  .
  .

This is resulting in an error under my build of perl.  The fix I used for
this was to change the import line to the following:

    Time::HiRes->import( 'time', 'sleep' );

Additionally, the version of Fcntl.pm on this machine does not define 'mode'
as a valid export under %EXPORT_TAGS - This resulted in tests 08 and 14 to
fail.  I have not as yet dug any deeper into the source of
POE::Wheel::FollowTail to correct this.

The perl -V information dump follows:

Summary of my perl5 (5.0 patchlevel 5 subversion 3) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=solaris, osvers=2.8, archname=sun4-solaris
    uname='sunos localhost 5.8 sun4u sparc sunw,ultra-1 '
    hint=previous, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
    usethreads=undef useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='cc', optimize='-xO3 -xdepend', gccversion=
    cppflags=''
    ccflags =''
    stdchar='char', d_stdstdio=define, usevfork=false
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16
    alignbytes=8, usemymalloc=n, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='cc', ldflags =''
    libpth=/lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
    libs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt
    libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-R
/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE'
    cccdlflags='-KPIC', lddlflags='-G'

  Built under solaris
  Compiled at Dec 22 1999 00:00:57
  %ENV:
    PERL5LIB="/users/rc6286/workspace/dev/perllibs"
  @INC:
    /users/rc6286/workspace/dev/perllibs/sun4-solaris
    /users/rc6286/workspace/dev/perllibs
    /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris
    /usr/perl5/5.00503
    /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris
    /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005
    .

Regards,
Rob

Rob Casey
Implementation Analyst
Essential and Direct Mail Development
Hermes Precisa Australia (Victoria)
Phone : (03) 9217-5501
Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IMPORTANT
The contents of this e-mail and its attachments are confidential and intended
addressed.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify
the HPA Postmaster, [EMAIL PROTECTED], then delete
the e-mail.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for
the presence of computer viruses by MimeSweeper.  Before opening or
using any attachments, check them for viruses and defects.

Our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.

HPA collects personal information to provide and market our services.
For more information about use, disclosure and access see our Privacy
Policy at www.hpa.com.au