On Tuesday, Sep 2, 2003, at 17:28 US/Eastern, Rocco Caputo wrote:

I have heard conflicting stories about whether the time shift is
significant.  Jeff Bisbee posted that systems based on UTC don't see
shifts in time() when DST/Standard arrive.  Matt Cashner is convinced
that NTP prevents the problem from occurring.  It's an area I admit
knowing very little about, and I'm loath to bring down my development
machine to simulate Daylight Savings/Standard time shifts, manually, or
by tricking NTP.  I've made some small changes, of perhaps five minutes
either way, and discovered that times() does not behave as claimed.

Perhaps I can ask the question slightly differently. Is it acceptable for POE to fail to deliver sigchild because of a system time change?

Here is a simple way of illustrating this, start a process using POE::Wheel::Run, then immediately set the system time backwards for two hours. I have observed that in this case sigchild will not be delivered until two hours later. This is somewhat of a nasty surprise, wouldn't you say?

Pete