On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:39:01AM -0600, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I'm using POE::Component::Client::TCP is there a way I can manually read
> the socket, as opposed to having each message fire the ServerInput method?
> It might seem counter POE, but I'd like to get the ConnectError,
> Disconnected, and Filter from Client::TCP, but I want to read the message in
> at my own pace.

No.  Disconnect happens as a result of sysread() returning error zero.
Client::TCP can't announce a disconnection unless it's also reading the
socket.

Have you seen http://poe.perl.org/?Evolution_of_a_poe_server ?  It's
server side, but it shows a few different ways to build and work with
sockets.  Maybe Wheel::SocketFactory and Wheel::ReadWrite (or perhaps
just select_read) will suit your problem better.

--
Rocco Caputo - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://poe.perl.org/