On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 04:20, Ciro wrote:
> Psilon, my modular POE IRC bot, is coming along fairly well. I've run
> into a bit of a snafu though. If the preset nick is in use, the bot will
> just hang there in a sort of "half-connected" state, until the connection
> times out, and the server gives a 443 Numeric. Theory on this below.

You should be receiving an irc_433 immediately after the PoCo::IRC
client sends your nick request when your nick is in use.  After that all
you have to do is issue a nick change to your new random nick and the
rest of the connect will happen.  If you want to see it in code, take a
look at lib/PipSqueek/Plugin/PipSqueek.pm in the bot's source download
at http://pipsqueek.net/.  If you're not receiving that even upon
connect, then the ircd is at fault and you may just want to add an alarm
and check if the bot has received the 001 (connected) or 372 (motd)
after 4-5 seconds.  If not, then you can issue a nick change and finish
the connection sequence.

Just to show you the IRC numerics happening (the lines preceeded by
colons are the ones sent by the server to me)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ telnet irc.topgamers.net 6667
:tg2.irc.topgamers.net NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname...
:tg2.irc.topgamers.net NOTICE AUTH :*** Found your hostname (cached)
USER l8nite l8nite l8nite l8nite
NICK l8nite
:tg2.irc.topgamers.net 433 * l8nite :Nickname is already in use.
NICK l8nite2
:tg2.irc.topgamers.net 001 l8nite2 :Welcome to the irc.topgamers.net IRC
Network [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Good luck,
Shaun