To be honest, I don't think that's expected behavior of POE::Session,

Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm coming to. Maybe someone authoritative will weigh in on the question.

it's better to store your stuff in the HEAP instead of mucking around with options.

Agreed, and I'm happier to use the heap instead. But I was wanting to specify my heap values as part of the session's create() call, and I didn't think there was a way to do that. The create() command does have a "heap" parameter, but the POE::Session synopsis says that that parameter is for changing the heap's internal representation. Further reading of the documentation reveals that a second use of that "heap" parameter is to specify values to be stored on the heap -- but I never knew that until just now. (RTFM, Tim.)

So anyway, problem solved as far as I'm concerned. But for those who care, I do seem to have found an inconsistency between the option() command and the "options" parameter of the create() command.

Tim