Hi

I have been looking at Poe for some time but now I believe I have an
application for it. I would welcome some general feedback on my
comments.

Currently we have (a number of) FTP scripts. They each work by sending
files sequentially to a remote FTP servers via one of a number of
methods.

Net::FTP

Net::SFTP

Net::SFTP::Foreign::Compat

I am trying to rationalise these scripts since they are rather in a
mess!

Each script is called by a different process so in theory we can have
multiple copies of the same script running at the same time sending to
the same or different FTP servers.

I can't work out if Poe would be a suitable alternative.

On the one hand, sending files sequentially to the same FTP server would
seem to be limited by the throughput of the pipe to the server. Running
Poe with multiple processes all trying to use the same pipe should be no
faster since we are presumably limited by the pipe bandwidth.

On the other hand, if one of the files had a problem and timed out, then
other files may not be delayed and could in theory still be transferred
(depending upon the reason for the problem).

I can see that if I was sending files to different FTP servers then Poe
would be of use since then I would be sending files down different
pipes, but this is no better that having several processes, one for each
server.

I have also looked at the FTP components.

Poe::Component::Net::FTP

I understand that if I were to use the 'put' command then it would block
other Poe components until the file was sent. For this reason I would
have to use the lower level write command which adds complexity.

Has anyone implemented a none-blocking put for this module?

Poe::Component::Client::FTP

I think this has the same problem, there is no high level put command.

I am not yet convinced that for my application Poe is a suitable
advantage, but I am willing to be convinced :-)

Regards

Ian

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of RedBee Media Metadata. If you
are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in
error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please
notify the sender.

Red Bee Media Metadata is a trading name of Broadcasting Dataservices Limited.
Registered in England and Wales No.: 2554733. Registered Office: 201 Wood Lane,
London W12 7TP, UK.
Broadcasting Dataservices Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Red Bee Media
Limited.