From: "Avik Sengupta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> re dynamic classloading and headless behaviour ...
>
> AFAIK, the call to load X (native) libraries happen at link time, which in
the
> java world is basically on classloading. So you CAN get around X loading
be
> ensuring that class loading of ANY awt class does not happen till the
method is
> called. Note, however, that importing a class will trigger classloading
when
> the importee is loaded .. which means basically that you will have to call
> methods via relflection as well (ie, Class.method etc), you cant just
create
> the class dynamically and cast. So u have to be very careful .. importing
> class that imports a class that imports a class .. that imports an awt
class
> will disable headless operation.
>
> Also, no exception is thrown when the X libs are not found, the jvm
basically
> exits (at least in 1.2 which i have experience of ).
>
> All this makes it very dicey, so tho it is possible to get around it, i
would
> suggest one does it only if absolutely necessary, and then it is well
tested.

> If is of course a very big deal to ensure that POI can be used in headless
> environments with jdk1.2 and jdk1.3.

Instead of using AWT, I would like to see us make the classes ourselves.

What are the AWT classes-methods we need?

If they are 200, I agree that AWT is difficult to get around with, but if
they're 20...

I would start using AWT in the contrib section, see how much AWT stuff we're
using, and eventually evaluate the possibility of making our own support
classes.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -