From: "Rainer Klute" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>What I proposed is in between: the code is reformatted *only* if it fails
>>more than X number of checkstyle tests.
>>
>>This way if the code you write is mainly in line, it will not be changed.
>>
>>If not , it will.
>>
>>This would solve your problem, since code that doesn't break (the loose
>>standards we have) will remain untouched.
>
>Sounds good. Can we have a "warning period" for the author, i.e.
>
>1. Run the checkstyle tests.
>
>2. If the the results are in the red range, request the author(s)
>   to fix the code within, say, a month (at least as much as to press
>   the checkstyle result below the warning limit).
>
>3. If the warning period exceeds, the code is reformatted
>   automatically.
>
>Is this possible?

The problem is, where do we store this history?

I think it's a big hassle, and 1 month is too much for OS software.

If someone is committing new stuff, he should do so only if checkstyle
passes with the threshold, ar he knows that it will be reformatted.

The problem arises with legacy code, that we have in CVS now.

I think that we can give all devs 3 weeks to clean the code starting from
now, then the system will kick in.

Is this better?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -