> I'd like to use poi in the following scenario:
That is certainly a very common requirement. In the past, we have either used
VJ+ - COM integration (if you are on windows) or JIntegra Bridge successfully
for such scenarios.

>But this does not seem very adequate in
>server environments.
Yeah, but if you want to use excel as your calculation engine, you take what
you get :)

As Andy mentioned, having hooks into excel from poi is certainly not a good
idea.

>But what would be really
>helpful is a hook where a calculator could be installed

If there is an open source java calculator available .. or somone is willing to
write one .. , we could certainly look at integrating with it. I would
certainly be willing to help in writing any such hooks. However, I dont think a
generic interface to ANY calculator will work, without knowing what/how such a
calculator does/works.

Regards
-
Avik