> The savings could possibly be even larger if POIFS used a
> java.nio.channels.FileChannel with regions of it mapped to a
> java.nio.MappedByteBuffer.

Please, do not use such features. I'm trying to compile POI through gcj into native
library and this features could not be supported... Or separate it into some optional
modules... It could not be supported in all java implementations (<1.4) as well (or
must be? - I play with Java up to 1.1.7 - a little archaic now)

Regards,
Martin