Hello Every Body,

Ralph,

That's  a great code :-).

I am always willing to work with the POI team and contribute my works to this great
community.
Actually I was working with these parsers since three  months and I was not able to
concentrate on
POI mailing list because of tight schedules I have.

Actually when Ryan Ackely left the team, at that time only I have plans to join the
team. But
because of tight schedules, I was not able to participate in the discussion at that
time.

Now I am free from them and can able to concentrate now.

So, I would like to know what's the status of the POI and which parts of POI I can
contribute my
work.

Regards
Sudhakar

--- Avik Sengupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> We're (from having been burnt before), quite vary of dead code.
> Therefore, its good to hear you chime in with offer to help. And I
> certainly do hope Sudhakar is interested in further developing this
> functionality.
>
> However, first we need to ensure that the author wants the code in POI
> in the first place.
>
> Regards
> -
> Avik
>

> On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 21:05, Ralph Scheuer wrote:
> > (To whom it may concern)
> >
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > in the course of the last months, I have searched for a free Java
> > framework that can process PowerPoint files.
> >
> > Some days ago, I finally found something here:
> >
> > http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-slide/src/share/org/apache/
> > slide/extractor/
> >
> > Apparently, one would not expect such things in Slide but rather in
> > POI. Slide's extractors were contributed by Ryan Rhodes. I have tested
> > these at first and this weekend I finally discovered Sudhakar Chavali's
> > classes. This was cross-posted to the Slide User mailing list and the
> > POI User mailing list.
> >
> > Sudhakar's classes are even better than those by Ryan Rhodes as they
> > even take care of the document structure. I have just integrated this
> > code into a production framework and fixed an issue where non-ASCII
> > characters (in my case German umlauts) were not displayed correctly.
> > All in all, this seems to be some really good work that might be able
> > to help a lot of people.
> >
> > Avik Sengupta has already asked Sudhakar if he wants his work to become
> > part of POI.
> >
> > While I do not want to impact his own decision of whether he wants to
> > keep maintaining this code or not, I just wanted to inform you that
> > there is some really good code available to deal with PowerPoint files
> > and that this might also be a starting point for integrating even more
> > PowerPoint functionality into POI.
> >
> > I just wondered why this code is in Slide and not in POI and whether
> > there has already been conversation across the different groups. IMHO
> > POI would be a good place for this functionality (the text extraction
> > part is certainly also interesting for the Lucene guys).
> >
> > Once Sudhakar's code is in the right hands, I will certainly contribute
> > any fixes we have for this code. If there is anything else I can do to
> > help with this issue, let me know, but keep in mind that I have not
> > been involved in any Jakarta project until now, so I may have to learn
> > a lot.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Ralph Scheuer

=====
"No one can earn a million dollars honestly."- William Jennings Bryan (1860-1925)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid."- George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)