When you look through CVS, you get the Development Head by default :).

cvs co jakarta-poi

that will pull off the latest development build (with the performance changes).

to get the latest Release 2 branch:

cvs co -r REL_2_BRANCH jakarta-poi

Robert Lowe wrote:

Sounds interesting--where would I find that? I tried browsing CVS, but it's
not obvious where to look, i.e. which Java package.

- Rob

-----Original Message----- From: Danny Mui [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 8:03 PM To: POI Users List Subject: Re: Event-based API for generating Excel files?

Have you checked out the HEAD? Andy put out the performance branch there that reduces memory usage as well increasing performance. It's a little broken right now but if it works for you...

Cocoon uses the usermodel at the end of the day :)

danny

Robert Lowe wrote:

I'm currently using POI to generate some fairly large Excel files (30,000+
rows), using the org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel package.

While this works okay, it (i) requires lots of heap space (512 MB seems to
do it), and (ii) takes several minutes.

Is there any way to generate Excel files using an event-based API, and

hence

avoid buffering the entire document in memory? I know there's an

event-based

API for reading docs, but haven't come across anyhting similar for writing.

Should I be looking at Cocoon?

Best regards,

Robert Lowe
http://RMLowe.com/