PoiFS accepts an InputStream. What lies under that Input stream is
irrelevant as far as POI is concerned.. while the most used case is a
FileInputStream, it could be anything.

What you need to ensure however, in your method, is that the file does
not acculumate extra bytes at the beginning or end... thats the source
of most pain.

There were issues in POI earlier with InputStreams that were slow.. but
I believe that's been fixed since at least the 2.0 version.

HTH
-
Avik