Ann,

when you're dealing with large files like that, you might want to try increasing the JVM's maximum heap size with the "-Xmx" option.

Paul

Gossard, Ann L. wrote:

Question: Is POI able to support multiple reading and writing to
different XLS files? I have 3 XLS files, 1 is read only, and I handle
this one by reading in everything I need then closing and doing garbage
collection. The other two are read/write and can get pretty big, i.e.
1000 excel sheets in one doc. I get an 'out-of-memory' exception on the
workbook.write(out);  for the 1000 sheet workbook. The other excel file
has only one sheet but 1000 lines on Sheet1. Suggestions?

If this has come up previously, then please forward to me the suggested
solution.

Thank you,

Ann