I am trying to update an existing Excel file. But the updates are not being saved.

When I append a new cell on the end of an existing row, and then save the workbook to a new file, the new file is identical to the old file.

The cell gets created. I can see it in the debugger. I can get it to print a value. But when I write out the workbook out to a file, the new cell disappears.

I've been following the how-to guide on the site, and I traced down the HSSF.java code and reviewed the "main" method in there. It looks like I am following the same code pattern. According to the HSSF code, it doesn't look like I need to remove anything, if I am just adding new objects, such as an append.

This is how I'm writing out the file:

POIFSFileSystem fs = readExcelFile(file);
FileOutputStream os = new FileOutputStream(file + "new.xls");
fs.writeFilesystem(os);
os.close();

Here is the append code:

private void appendRateColumn(HSSFRow row) {
 int rowNumber = row.getRowNum();
 HSSFCell rateCell = row.createCell(RateColumn,
                                    HSSFCell.CELL_TYPE_NUMERIC);
 HSSFCell cellOfHoursWorked = row.getCell(SumOfQuantityColumn);
 HSSFCell cellOfAmount = row.getCell(SumOfAmountColumn);
 double hoursWorked = cellOfHoursWorked.getNumericCellValue();
 double amount = cellOfAmount.getNumericCellValue();
 rateCell.setCellValue(amount/hoursWorked);
 System.out.println("CELL [" + getCellStringValue(rateCell) + "]");
} // method appendRateColumn(HSSFRow

--
A. Rick Anderson