On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Prashant Soni wrote:
To confirm, I made a test case where the file created by poi contains nothing but two blank slides. It does not open in OO. Opening in powerpoint 2003 and then a saveas from there (without making any change to the file) allows it to be opened in OO.

It'd be interesting to know how the file differs, once powerpoint has re-saved it. That might help us figure out what OO doesn't like

Googling for Version Incompatibility with OO Impress tells me that Open Office does not support powerpoint 95 files. Essentially, this would mean that some header contains a bit of legacy signature corresponding to powerpoint95, which needs to be updated.

I think that OO is giving you an un-helpful / incorrect error message here. I don't think there's any powerpoint 95 stuff in POI.

Since OO is open source, you could try asking them for help / stepping through it in a debugger. If powerpoint opens the file, but OO doesn't, then either OO can fix their code, or tell us how to tweak ours so it doesn't break OO.

Nick